Rabanadas - From the kitchen of my mother-in-law
About 20 1-inch-thick (2.5 cm) slices french bread
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk (reserve other half for topping)
2 cups of milk
3 eggs, separated
About 3 tablespoons oil for pan-frying
Sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle, condensed milk or syrup to pour over fried bread
1) If possible, buy the bread the day before, slice it and let it sit overnight in an open container.
2) Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add egg yolks and beat again until thick.
3) In a medium bowl, combine half can of condensed milk with the milk.
4) Soak lightly each slice of bread with the dissolved condensed milk, drain the excess and coat the slice with eggs whites.
5) Fry in hot oil until golden brown on each side. Place on paper towel to drain and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, condensed milk, or syrup. Serve warm.
Does your family have any Christmas traditions?