What to do for happy hour? Calamari rings are so easy to make, they go well with tartar sauce as an appetizer or even as a main dish.
1 pound calamari, cut into 5mm/¼in rings (I used frozen rings)
Salt, pepper, lemon juice, and garlic to taste, let it stand for one hour.
Vegetable oil for deep frying
For the crust:
1 cup plain flour
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1) Rinse the rings, under cold running water, pat dry. Add alt, pepper, lemon juice, and garlic to taste, let it stand for one hour.
2) Beat the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, set aside.
3) In plastic bag combine crust ingredients: flour, pepper, paprika, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Add a few squids at a time, shake well until well coated. Shake off excess flour (I use a sieve).
4) Dip rings in eggs, then in flour mixture again. Repeat egg and flour steps one more time if necessary. Place in freezer for 10 minutes before frying.
4) Deep fry five pieces at a time until golden brown. Remove from the oil and briefly drain on kitchen paper before serving with tartar sauce, slices of lemon, tzatziki, etc. for dipping.
For the tartar sauce:
200ml/7fl oz mayonnaise
1/4 cup cucumber pickles
Mix all ingredients together and use for dipping fish, shrimp etc.