This recipe reminds me of the cucumber relish served in a fast food chain that sells hamburgers all over the world.
(Cortesy of Haidi)
2 pounds cucumber
1 cup onions
1 sweet green bell pepper
1 sweet green yellow pepper
1 sweet red bell pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 teaspon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1. Grind cucumber, onions, and sweet peppers. In a large bowl add salt and cover with cold water and refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
2. Drain mixture well and press out all excess liquid.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add vegetables; simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you are interested in packing relish into sterilized jars, you can find more information on home canning at Andrea's Recipes.
- The cucumber relish gives an added crunch to burgers and hot dogs.
- The relish can be mixed with mayonnaise to make tartar sauce.