Thursday, June 14, 2007

Creamy Brazilian Limeade

This is a popular limeade served in restaurants in Brazil, it is very refreshing and with a creamy texture. Actually, we call it "Swiss lemonade," I have no idea why. The juice has a mousse consistency, some people use condensed milk but I prefer this lighter version, specially because my son is allergic to milk and we use soy cream as substitute for heavy cream.

3 limes
4 cups water
7oz/200 g heavy cream (I use soy cream)
1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)
2 cups ice cubes

Directions
1) Wash limes thoroughly with water and detergent. Cut off the ends and slice into eight wedges.

2) Place limes in a blender with 2 cups
water, pulsing only 3 to 5 seconds (so it won't become bitter).

3) Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove rinds. Add 2 more cups of water, the heavy cream, sugar and ice, blend again for a few seconds. Serve immediately.

More ideas...
- Before juicing the limes, roll them
under your palm against the kitchen counter, they will have more juice.
- Don't let the juice stand for too long, it will become bitter.
- Don't try this recipe with lemons.

13 comments:

Val said...

This looks really yummy, and I'm going to try it soon even though it's winter and quite chilly. But hey, isn't it winter where you are too???

I must confess though that our favorite way of having limes is in gimlets.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Cris, I've always thought that this limeade was made with sweetened condensed milk - your version is a lot lighter, thank heavens! :D

Andrea said...

That sounds absolutely delicious and refreshing. Will try this very soon!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow! That sounds really good!

Anh said...

I have never tasted this before. It must be heavenly good! Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Anonymous said...

That looks incredibly refreshing!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Cris, this sounds divine! I can't drink cream because it makes my throat clog up though...do you think I could replace it with diluted coconut cream?

Malaysian Delicacies said...

Hi
I like drinks that comes in limes..after a tiring days work, a drink of that wud be really refreshing,the creamy brazilian lime drink sure look heavenly.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Tried your recipe today, and it was yummy! Thanks for another great way to use limes!

Anonymous said...

mmm that sounds great.

Andrea said...

I made this today, and my boys and I drank it all up. It was delicious!

Anonymous said...

Do you strain the lime rind out before serving or does it stay in as if making a caipirinha?

Cris said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the heads up, for some reason the font was so small on step 3 it was not displaying the directions correctly, I updated the post and now it shows you need to strain before adding more water. Thank you!