1 cup water
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup grated gruyere
4 tablespoons chopped onion
Italian seasoning to taste (or any kind of dried herbs - parsley, oregano, thyme, etc.)
1) Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220 ºC). Grease or line two cookie sheets (no need to grease if using non-stick sheets).
2) Place the water and butter into a saucepan and bring to a boil. On low heat add the salt and flour at once, stirring with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball.
3) Remove from heat. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl and let cool for a bit. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until the mixture is creamy. Add the cheese, the onion and the seasonings.
4) Drop the balls of the mixture onto a greased or lined cookie sheet using a small cookie scoop or one tablespoon, 2 inches apart.
- You can also pipe the mixture, but I prefer the cookie scoop.
5) Bake at 425ºF (220 ºC) for 15 to 20 minutes until puffs are golden brown. Serve them hot, plain or with any kind of filling, I had some eggplant antipasto and it was a great combination!
Recipe from the kitchen of: Luna