Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brazilian carrot cake

Our children's favorite cake. This is a simple carrot cake I make and I think every mother here knows how to make it, as it is a very popular and traditional recipe in Brazil. Since I was not a big fan of carrot cakes, even though I like carrots, I started to add cinnamon to give it a twist. Very different from the carrot cakes you probably know, this one does not have nuts and fruits, and it is topped with chocolate icing!

This recipe also makes great cupcakes and I add chocolate chips on top before taking them to the oven!
Brazilian carrot cake
3 small raw carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Grease and flour a 12-inch (30 cm) round pan. Preheat oven to 380°F (190°C).

1) Place carrots, eggs, and oil into a blender and puree.

2) In a bowl, add flour, baking
powder, cinnamon and sugar. Pour the carrot mixture and mix until well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake at 380°F (190°C) for 30 minutes.

Chocolate glaze
(mom's recipe)

4 tablespoons milk or water
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa

In a small sauce pan, cook all ingredients at low heat until it thickens, stirring constantly. Spread over cake immediately.

8 comments:

TBC said...

That is a treat for kids and grown-ups alike!:D

Sandra said...

Ai que bom, que bom....YUM!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Now that's a carrot cake I could get excited over!

Elle said...

Finally, a new kind of carrot cake! I mean, i like the traditional kind, but choices are nice.

Looks wonderful with the chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Oh that cake looks amazing. What a great idea to add the chocolate glaze to it!

Indian Khana said...

Cake looking delicious...lovely pic and simple procedure...too gud

Rebekah said...

I lived in Brasil for 1 1/2 years and now I am married to a Brasileiro. I've always thought Brazilian carrot cake was the best. I'm so happy to find a good recipe. I made it for my husband's birthday. My kids loved it too. Obrigada!

Cris said...

Hi Rebekah! So good to hear that you liked this cake! Your husband must be very proud of your Brazilian cooking. Take care. Beijos