Monday, September 1, 2008

Ginger Ribs with Red Rice

My mother-in-law introduced me to red rice some 15 years ago... At the time, I came back home with 2 pounds of red rice and tried it different ways, using different ingredients like chicken shrimp, codfish, sausage and even sweet potato. This whole grain rice (sativa L specie) was carried to Brazil from Portugal, back in the XVI century. Some people call it Camargue rice, if grown in France. Even though it has been in our country for many years, just now it is gaining popularity with Slow Food.

This is my entry for The Royal Foodie Joust that has whole grain, citrus and ginger as the main ingredients.

For every cup rice, use 4 cups water. Soak the rice at least 2 hours before cooking.

Ingredients for the rice
2 cups red rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
8 cups water

Heat a large pan and sauté garlic and onion. Add rice, salt water and cook for about 45 minutes in low heat. After 30 minutes add the cooked ribs.

Ingredients for the ribs
2 pounds pork baby back ribs
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon salt
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper to taste

1) Marinate baby ribs for 2 hours in lime juice, salt, pepper, onion, olive oil, garlic and ginger powder.

2) In a large pan or pressure cooker, add the meat without the marinade and brown lightly, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add the marinade, cover and cook in low heat for one hour or until meat is tender. Add water as needed, then allow water to dry at the end.

3) Add the cooked rice to the meat, cook it for another 15 minutes. Serve warm.



5 comments:

Laura Paterson said...

I have never tried red rice - this is a lovely recipe to start with though!

Unknown said...

Interesting recipe - anything with ribs is a hit with my 3 boys. Curious is the rice short, medium, or long grain? I've seen red rice (usually a sticky short grain) in our asian markets but I'm guessing your version is a little different? Do you sear then simmer the ribs in marinade? I usually grill ribs in style of eastern Carolina (brine, rub, slow grill, then lightly apply vinegar/tomato based sauce at end) which can take up to 3 days, so I'm excited to try yours. I am somewhat unfamiliar with Brazilian cooking other than having had some Churrasco at a county fair. Do you use much cilantro in Brazilian cooking? Was searching for Brazilian Jilo recipes when I came across your wonderful blog please post anything you may have using jilo (the green bitter eggplant) which is popular with Brazilians in Massachusetts (just received a batch and found out farmer behind my house is growing a plot of jilo). Was thinking of just tossing some into a curried stir fry. Thanks and look forward to trying some of your recipes

Cris said...

Hi Michael, thanks for visiting! I did not find a way to respond to your comment other than here, I'm sorry. I have recipes for jilo! Will try to make some, my brother always take them to churrascos. Ok, the rice is medium grain I'd say, and did you know it is also considered a pest? :-) Anyways, it is so good. Your friends must live close to Boston I suppose. Cilantro is not much used in my region as it is up in the Northeastern Brazil. The recipe for "moqueca" on my blog uses fresh cilantro. For the ribs, it is better if you cook adding water as needed, then let the water dry at the end and you will have wonderful ribs. Sometimes I use a pressure cooker, and then it goes faster. Check for tenderness ok, they almost fall off the bones... Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Another tasty-looking dish. I've never had red rice before. I'll have to look for it now.

Paz

Thistlemoon said...

Very nice Cris! I would love to try that rice...and the ribs! I just had Thai purple rice the other day which was great!