Friday, March 14, 2008

Re: Cheddar Bay Biscuits - WBB #20 Balanced Breakfast

My husband's birthday could only fall on a saint's day, but now we're talking about another saint... the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick! So, if March 17th is the date for many Irish and non-Irish to wear green, enjoy a parade, drink a lot of Guinness beer and wish good luck, why can't we celebrate it with food?

The garlic butter brushed on top added a special flavor and to me they seem to taste like the ones sold at Red Lobster.

I made these Red Lobster-inspired biscuits recipe because I feel homesick for the US and also this is my contribution for Mansi's Balanced Breakfast event at Fun and Food.

Did you know that Red Lobster alone sells over one million biscuits a day?

Cheddar Bay Biscuits
(Adapted from Diana's Kitchen and Kraft)

1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup shredded American cheese

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons melted butter
10 fresh flat leaf parsley leaves

Muffin paper liners

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.

2) In a mixing bowl combine the milk, mayo, sugar, and flour until completely combined. Add cheese to the dough and combine. Drop batter into 10 paper-lined muffin tins. Batter should "drop" from spoon.

3) Melt butter; mix in garlic, and brush tops of dough. Place one parsley leaf on top of each biscuit; lightly brush again.

4) Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Serve freshly baked and hot.

Substitute self-rising flour: use 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon baking powder.

10 comments:

Anna said...

One of the reasons that I am glad we moved out of the US was to get away from those biscuits! They are deadly.....literally...I think they can kill you.

So now I can make my own?!?!? GREAT! Sigh.

:) I haven't listened to that radio station but I will check it out.

Thanks.

Mansi said...

wow, those look deadly Cris! thanks so much for playing along girl:) hope you enjoy your holiday!:)

Sandra said...

I LOVE Red Lobster biscuits and I've made this recipe before.....they are just sinful LOL

Sorry you're missing the US, I know all about being homesick and in a different country :)

Hugs,
Sandra

Abby said...

I LOVE THOSE THINGS. There's a WW version I sometimes make because we eat them by the truckload at our house! YUM.

Thistlemoon said...

Those are soooo good! I love how you made them so you wouldn't feel as homesick! Perfect cure! Happy St. Paddy's and Happy Birthday to your husband!

Odete said...

Cris my dear, sometimes I wanna go to Red Lobster just for a few of those. Killer but delicious!
Yours looking great. Good job!;-)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Wow, another amazing St. Paddy's recipe I've never seen. They look so delicious! Wish your husband a happy birthday for me please!

TBC said...

Hey Cris,
Belated birthday wishes to your hubby. Hope you guys had a good time.:)

The biscuits look so nice and flaky.
Feeling homesick is something I understand all too well...sigh...:(

Kelli said...

Those are the prettiest biscuits I've ever seen Cris! Happy Birthday to your husband!
Hugs,
Kelli

Unknown said...

delicious!!!!!!!!!
thanks