Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Creamy cucumber dip

This dip has a story behind it... it is about a 20-year friendship that started in choir class when I was an AFS exchange student. Karla and I became good friends, her parents treated me as a member of their family. We used to hang around a lot, we used to go "Hills" and to the mall. She also taught me a lot of slang words!

Anyway, we did keep in touch for a while after I returned home, writing long letters, then she moved, and I lost contact. One day I found her address on the internet! So I picked up the phone and called... Karla was speechless. Now we chat online almost everyday. Last time I saw her she had just had a baby, her youngest, and it was great to be together on such special occasion.

Karla learned so many recipes from her mother and this creamy cucumber dip she shared online with me one day we wanted to know what each other was having for dinner.

Creamy cucumber dip
1 cucumber, unpeeled, coarsely grated or diced
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
Black pepper

Soak cucumber in salt water for one hour, then rinse and pat dry. Add remaining ingredients. Serve with your favorite toasted bread, crackers, chips or toasted pita triangles.

If you like cucumber, try these:
Tzatziki
Panzanella
Ginger Vinaigrette
Cucumber relish

7 comments:

Susie said...

Looks yummy Cris! I also loved reading the story behind the recipe and that you found Karla after all those years!
xo

Michele said...

what a great story of friendship! :-)

Peter M said...

Thanks for sharing the story and the dip, nice for veggies.

Santiago Pituitary said...

What a wonderful story - I'm so happy that the two of you were able to reconnect.
I would love to post your story and recipe to our AFS website - is that ok with you?

Please let me know.

Best,

Alissa
alissa.munoz@afs.org

Mansi said...

looks inviting Cris! I generally use half yogurt, half mayo...its great with chips and crackers:)

Kelli said...

What a sweet story and I'm so glad you got back in touch with your friend! The cucumber dip looks delicious!
~Kelli

Overwhelmed! said...

Yum! You're recipe sounds great. And I love the story behind it. :)

I’m stopping by to let you know that I’m hosting the “Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style” recipe exchange again this year, coming up this Friday. I hope you can join me and if you’re willing to help me spread the news, I’m offering a giveaway as well!