Thursday, May 28, 2009

Shrimp and bacon jambalaya

Rice is a staple in Brazil and many people have two portions of rice a day and... there is no minute rice available in our grocery stores, so we really make rice from scratch almost everyday. Since rice freezes well, sometimes I prepare a dish a few days ahead, even when I have combined it with other ingredients.

This month's Royal Food Joust hosted by the Leftover Queen is about rice, tomatoes and bacon and these ingredients made me think of a dish my family loves... Jambalaya!

My first experience with jambalaya wasn't a very good one though. I was in Raleigh, NC on a work assignment, so we went to a restaurant in Cary I think, but the chef must have added pepper twice! It was so hot, I could barely eat it! I did not complain to the waiter and I regret that, but you know those restaurant stories that people tell... And that jambalaya looked so good... So when I came back home I tried to replicate the dish and loved it!
Shrimp and bacon jambalaya
2 cups rice
3 tablespoons oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (250 g) smoked sausage
1/2 pound (250 g) bacon, cubed
1 red bell pepper
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
1 can peeled tomatoes with juice
thyme or oregano to taste
500 g shrimp, deveined
2 tablespoons scallions, diced

1) In a large pot sauté onion, bell pepper, bacon and sausage in oil for 8 to 10 minutes until they are golden. Add rice and minced garlic, then stir to coat the grains with the oil, season with salt and stir-fry about 2 minutes.

2) Add the water. Add peeled tomatoes, spices, and herbs - do not add shrimp at this time. Cover and cook over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

3) While rice is cooking, season shrimp with salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Check the rice after 15 minutes, stir in seasoned shrimp. Cook, covered, about 5 minutes more or until shrimp turns pink and rice is tender. Add scallions and serve.

5 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I love jambalaya and this is a great recipe!

I can't believe another coincidence - we used to live in Raleigh! In fact, we lived there in different periods: from 1993-95, when my husband was attending graduate school at NCSU and then again from 2001-03 when he worked at an energy company and I was the one attending school at NC State! And we even lived in Cary.

Is it possible we were there at the same time?

Shreya said...

Hi Cris, I am so glad to hear about rice being eaten twice:-) This dish reaminds me so much about the Indian Biriyani/ Biryani. Our Shrimp or meat biriyani is very similar, and inclues onions, tomatoes, bay leaves, garlic, but with addition of more spices. Love the pic too!

Cheffie-Mom said...

I always freeze ingredients and plan out more than one meal. Very cost effective, too! Thanks for another great recipe!

Abby said...

Bacon in jambalaya is new to me, but I can totally see how it works.

Yay for Raleigh! I went to college in Chapel Hill.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, I could do some serious damage with this dish. Give me a big hunk of cornbread for sopping up the juices left of the bottom of the bowl, and you wouldn't even have to clean it! ;)